Isabella is an Australian/Peruvian photojournalist based in Sydney. She is committed to relational, collaborative and research driven journalism practices with communities who have experienced misrepresentation in mainstream press.
Isabella’s diasporic experience, and Afro-Peruvian and Native Peruvian heritage inform her work. In particular, she recognises that intergenerational trauma and the ongoing impacts of colonisation are widely felt in settler colonial societies such as Australia.
She was commissioned by Wellcome Trust (2021) to report on the physical health impacts of climate change, and by the Judith Neilson Institute (2022) to report on Covid-19 in the Northern Territory.
Isabella’s work has been exhibited at the State Library of New South Wales (SLNSW), and published in international and national publications, including The New York Times, The Guardian, The Observer, The Saturday Paper, The Monthly, and the Financial Times.
She is currently a finalist in the National Photographic Portrait Prize (2023), has three times been a finalist in the prestigious Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize (2011, 2018), and a finalist in the Olive Cotton Award (2021). She received a Highly Commended for Best Photojournalism (2020) and Best Reporting on Indigenous affairs (2022) by the Journalism and Education Research Association of Australia.
Isabella is a member of Women Photograph and Diversify Photo (a community of BIPOC and non-western voices). She has completed a Master of Advanced Journalism (2022) at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) and a Bachelor of Arts in Cultural Studies at Macquarie University (2008).
Awards & Exhibitions
- 2023Finalist, National Photographic Portrait Prize (NPPP), Canberra, ACT
- 2023Finalist, The Olive Cotton Award, New South Wales
- 2022Highly Commended, Best Reporting on Indigenous affairs, ‘Remote communities poisoned by uranium’, Journalism and Education Research Assoc. of Australia
- 2021Finalist, The Olive Cotton Award, ‘Bruce Pascoe 2020’
- 2020Highly Commended, Best Photojournalism, ‘The Forgotten Ones’, Journalism and Education Research Assoc. of Australia
- 2020Second Place, Australian Photography Awards, ‘Bruce Pascoe and the dancing grass’ Documentary Category
- 2020Semi-finalist, Head On Portrait Prize, ‘Self Portrait’, Australia
- 2019Exhibiting Finalist at Obscura Documentary Photo Festival, Malaysia
- 2018'Highly Commended’ Finalist of the Moran Photographic Prize, ‘Significance of Ceremony’
- 2018Finalist of the Moran Photographic Prize, ‘Junior Mullet Fest Contestant’
Press & Talks
- 2022Panel Speaker, "Women Navigating Careers in Professional Image Making"
- 2022Photography Category Judge, Frankie Magazine
- 2019Artist Talk + Lecture, Bradfield Senior College, HSC Visual Art and Photography, NSW
- 2019Photography in Focus, Guest Speaker, Moran Arts Foundation, George Place, Sydney
- 2019Today Show, Channel Nine, ‘Mullet’ book National TV interview
- 2018Image Makers Seminar Series, Guest Speaker, Photography Studies College, Melbourne
- 2018The Guardian, Moran contemporary photographic prize 2018: snapshots of Australian life – in pictures